waiting on the front porch

she just stood there on the front porch waiting for her will to come and get her she was packed she had a suitcase full of noble intentions she had a map and a straight face hell bent on reinvention she was learning about please and huge humilities then one day she looked around her and everything up til then was showing and she wondered how did i get here without even knowing where i was going? ~ani difranco

My Photo
Name:
Location: montreal, quebec, Canada

recklesslydreaming.wordpress.com

Sunday, November 05, 2006

desiderata

edited to add: i didn't write this poem...what i meant by publish was on the blog...it was found in a church in 1692. author unknown...

i published this poem a while ago, but i've been staring at it on the wall at work for 3 days now and it speaks to me so much that i thought i would publish it again.

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darlene said...

Thank you for posting this bee, it was even more than what I needed...I wrote down some of the phrases to meditate on later tonight....just beautiful love,

hugs ooo
dar

5:33 p.m.  
Blogger Jessie said...

blogger ate my comment, but I'll try again because I want you to know that as I read this I felt like I was studying it...trying to gleam some of its gentleness and wisdom. It felt good to read...and it is beautiful. I'm glad you posted it again because i'm going to print this out and read it at random moments. I'll carry it around in my pocket until it becomes worn and fragile...until i'm able to absorb even a little bit of this wisdom. then, and only then, I'll put it up on my wall to remind myself.

This is a beautiful poem, bee. It reflects you well.

I love you.
j.

5:54 p.m.  
Blogger kerry said...

hi bee... i just caught up again on your posts - i was away for the weekend. i just wrote myself and then came over to read up on you... and i have to say it seems as though we are on some similar wavelength or some unseen connection, working on, trying, thinking through some things very much the same. i know our lives and stories may be drastically different, but i truly feel like what you write is written in my own heart somewhere too. and the way you feel and see this world makes so much sense to me, which is usually not the case with people in my life. i just wanted to tell you i'm thinking of you. i'm hoping you are well, hoping you get all the hugs you need this week, that you find more of that space inside, and that you fill it with joy.
ps. is that your artwork below?
pps. i have a huge poster of desiderata hanging in my dorm room right next to my door (yet another piece of synchronicity with you)

9:14 p.m.  
Blogger kj said...

hi bee, this has followed me since college. thanks for posting it. i hope things are going ok.

kj

10:16 p.m.  
Blogger a m y said...

I love this poem, it's so encouraging and I should/could easily read it every day. Thanks for sharing...

11:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home