waiting on the front porch

she just stood there on the front porch waiting for her will to come and get her she was packed she had a suitcase full of noble intentions she had a map and a straight face hell bent on reinvention she was learning about please and huge humilities then one day she looked around her and everything up til then was showing and she wondered how did i get here without even knowing where i was going? ~ani difranco

My Photo
Name:
Location: montreal, quebec, Canada

recklesslydreaming.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 09, 2006

feeling.....sassy


have you guys ever read this book? it's by kathy stinson, and i LOVED it when i was growing up. it's just a simple story about a little girl who can't explain it to the people around her why things are so much better when they're red. (juice tastes better when she drinks it from the red cup; her red mitts pack better snow balls; her red pajamas keep the monsters away, and on and on.)
it really is one of the cutest things i've ever read, and of course i thought of miss deb when i saw it again.

today i had a red day. what that means to me is, simply, that i had a blast, for no particular reason at all.

i went to work, and got to make signs all day. art always makes me feel happy, especially when i get to play with chalk. chalk makes me think of the blackboard that we had in the basement of our family's house. the weight of it in my fingers makes me happy - how you HAVE to make thick, heavy lines with it.

i bought some figs, and some extra coffee, and then i walked to the grocery store and on the way got lured in by a florist's shop. i did exceedingly well in there, considering, and only left with a fern, a jade plant, and one stem of gladiola. it's been forever since i bought some plants, and these were incredibly cheap.

i'm a bit tired but i still want to clean my apartment and watch a movie before i go to bed. it's funny, now that the pressure of school is off i don't really have any ideas for blog posts...well, i have one. i'll write that tomorrow.

this poem strikes me as a very "me" poem today:

WHAT WILL YOU BE?

they never stop asking me
"what will you be?-
a doctor, a dancer,
a diver at sea?"

they never stop bugging me:
"what will you BE?"
as if they expect me to
stop being me.

when i grow up i'm going to be a sneeze,
and sprinkle germs on all my enemies.

when i grow up i'm going to be a toad,
and dump on silly questions in the road.

when i grow up, i'm going to be a child.
i'll play the whole day and drive them wild.

-dennis lee, from "garbage delight", 1977



yes, so this is me today. a bit silly, a LOT sassy, a dash of bratty....just, basically, RED through and through.




p.s. for some reason, i can't comment on anybody's blogs today...i'm so sorry! i've been trying but nothing is happening.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book looks adorable, and it sounds like you had a a fabulous "sassy" day, sprinkled with some magical red dust.

Sleep tight, and here's to another "red" day tomorrow!

xoxoxoxo

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Deb R said...

I'm glad you had a RED day!! It sounds wonderful and I love the poem and all the images. :-)

I think Blogger is being tempermental again, so it's not just you having trouble commenting.

9:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i love red days. i love all your red images. i have a soft spot for accordions!

8:21 a.m.  
Blogger Darlene said...

Yes, I don't want you to be anything but your adorable self!

and red suits you just fine ;)

blogger gave me visiting issues too...maybe he has a cold ;)

XOXOXOX
Darlene

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger Hulles said...

Happy red day from me as well. It sounds wonderful. The best part for me was that you got plants -- good work. We really need them in these northern climes.

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger a m y said...

This is such a cute entry...so sassy and fun! I'm glad you had a red day :) We all need them once in awhile.

11:08 p.m.  
Blogger Admin said...

my new blog:
www.vespersescape.wordpress.com

12:03 a.m.  
Blogger Claire said...

Hooray for RED days! Glad you are having un temps formidable!

Cxx

3:52 a.m.  
Blogger Jessie said...

bee...my chalk drawing sister!! :) ok, i feel like i've been away from your blog this past week (because i have) and dang i've missed you. i just read your post about lakshmi and leif and holy crap girl! i loved it.

i'm sending you big love!
j.

5:43 a.m.  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

hey beautiful you, just checking in :-) i'm SO fricken proud of you for getting through this term - go you! and a month off - sounds like heaven ;-)

i want to take a portrait of you by my red wall... so when you comin' over eh? xo

1:09 p.m.  
Blogger Spiky Zora Jones said...

YO...hey sweet bee, I'm back from vacay and already I'm in trouble. Geez!

The Christmas lights are up and they work! the Christmas tree is decorated and brightly lit. The Hanukkah bush is set pretty. I've made matzo ball soup. eh...I try. I've totally finished my Christmas shopping...well, almost.

I have to get that book...it sounds so interesting and I totally love the red day idea.
later babes...Zora out.

3:35 p.m.  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I love that book. I read it all the time when i was young, but somehow forgot all about it until reading your post. it's weird, i've taken children's lit classes and read tons of old and new children's books. I remember reading so many of them and i talk about them quite frequently, but i had forgotten all about one of my favourite ones until now. Thank you for reminding me when my obsession with red began, hehe.

3:53 p.m.  
Blogger daisies said...

red days are the best days :) hope you have many this month!!

7:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home