waiting on the front porch

she just stood there on the front porch waiting for her will to come and get her she was packed she had a suitcase full of noble intentions she had a map and a straight face hell bent on reinvention she was learning about please and huge humilities then one day she looked around her and everything up til then was showing and she wondered how did i get here without even knowing where i was going? ~ani difranco

My Photo
Name:
Location: montreal, quebec, Canada

recklesslydreaming.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

loving montreal as i do, it was hard to live here today.
i was right down the street from dawson college when the shootings happened. a lot of my friends either went there or know people who work there or attend. everybody i ran into after 12:45 was edgy, cellphone turned on, waiting for a call. any call.
i couldn't believe how many people i talked to who told me that someone they knew (or someone once removed) was missing.

i love this city, with all my heart. i've told people that i was born in my hometown, but i chose to live here, so it means that much more. it seems like lately she's been through a lot - there was the bombing of the school in outremont just last week - and my heart wants to protect a city. to heal the hatred that lives here.

there don't seem to be adequate words right now - how could there be? there is sadness, instead, and thoughtfulness. but no words.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just had to look it up on the internet to see what had happened. i am SO sorry! how absolutely terrifying! hoping you are okay...

7:11 p.m.  
Blogger Scott said...

This is such a sad thing to have happened. All those students will never be the same as a result of this. I, like you and many others can only feel sorrow.

Scott

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger Jessie said...

Reading about this on the news gives me such a horrible, sick, sinking feeling. It is sad and the photos of that gunman took of himself are so disturbing. Living in Bemidji, I was only a 1/2 hour away from the Red Lake shootings that took place just over a year ago. I've seen, first hand, how such a thing can affect people. It is difficult, but with time there is also healing. Right now I am just sad for what happened. I'm sending a hug, too. Life is so fragile.

7:51 a.m.  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Oh Bee, I'm so sorry! I was absolutely shocked when I heard the news yesterday and can't believe someone would do that. There are too many unstable men out there taking their anger out on the innocent.

I hope you and the city of my childhood heals soon.

7:52 a.m.  
Blogger Spiky Zora Jones said...

Sweet sweet Bee, I didn't hear the news till last night on the news. I thought of you...hoping you were not anywhere near. My life is going so fast right now and all my time is comsumed by so many...every minute is accounted for. I've not had time even to get on the net. I've run off this morning. I am torn, I had to get away. So i sit here with my lap top and I can hear my named paged in the intercom, but I will sit for just a whiule.
I read your post and now I can relax, knowing you are unharmed. Those poor people that just happen to be leading their lives as usual...then an angry person comes along, without cause to kill and hurt. I've heard people say...it could have been worse. Tell that to the people who now have lost their loved one. It's all so insane. later babes, stay strong and I'll do the same. I'll sit here a few minutes more then get back to it all. Sorry if I've babbled on.

9:02 a.m.  
Blogger egan said...

I was saddened when the story first broke. I wish these school shootings would just go away, but that's unlikely to happen. Hopefully some good can be made after this tragedy. Bon courage mon amie!

2:21 p.m.  
Blogger egan said...

Suzie, don't point the blame on men soley. That's not fair. We can all improve, regardless of our sex. We all crave love and affection.

Hopefully this event will bring the city of Montréal closer together and there will be forums where the public can voice their concern. A plus tard!

2:43 p.m.  
Blogger Buffy said...

So sorry....

7:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home