waiting on the front porch

she just stood there on the front porch waiting for her will to come and get her she was packed she had a suitcase full of noble intentions she had a map and a straight face hell bent on reinvention she was learning about please and huge humilities then one day she looked around her and everything up til then was showing and she wondered how did i get here without even knowing where i was going? ~ani difranco

My Photo
Name:
Location: montreal, quebec, Canada

recklesslydreaming.wordpress.com

Friday, September 22, 2006

dear, oh dear. i've been tagged by both jessie and ruby to do a book meme (which is what now? oh.), and since i'm just about to start writing that short story, but am finishing taking a bit of a breather, i thought it was the perfect way to warm up my brain.

first, though, a disclaimer: this is brutal for me, like picking which child i want to save from the oven.

1. A book that changed your life:
bridge to terabithia by katherine paterson
steppenwolf by herman hesse
26a by diana evans
letters to a young poet by rainer maria rilke
school girls - young women, self esteem, and the confidence gap by peggy orenstein
no logo by naomi klein
possession by a.s. byatt
adventures in the skin trade by dylan thomas
literally every book written by alice munro
see? see what i mean?

2. A book you've read more than once:
the god of small things by arundhati roy
running in the family by michael ondaatje
you went away by timothy findley
how green was my valley by richard llewellyn

3. A book you'd want on a deserted island:
the narnia series (because i've been meaning to reread them forever)

4. A book that made me giddy:
three day road by joseph boyden

5. A book you wish had been written:
...mine is a good sentiment to echo. but i know it will be written.

6. A book that wracked you with sobs:
bridge to terabithia (kindreds, ruby? i think so.)
the velveteen rabbit by margery williams
i know this much is true by wally lamb
the lovely bones by alice sebold

7. A book you wish had NOT been written:
the fountainhead by ayn rand. good fucking lord.

8. A book that you are currently reading:
all the books i'm reading currently are for school - but life of pi by yann martel is one that i picked to read for school. i don't think i like it though.

9. A book you've been meaning to read:
the world by jeannette winterson
east wind, west wind by pearl s. buck
the jungle by upton sinclair

10. now, for the tagging: (but i'm not forcing anyone...)
claire, john, scott, j, spiky zora jones, *jeannette...that's enough for now....

5 Comments:

Blogger egan said...

Wow, I'm relieved you didn't tag me with this one. Somebody else already got me. I'm trying to figure out witty responses considering I've only read seven books in my life.

Okay so that's not true. I don't think I've read a single book on your list. I finally have some free time on my hands though. Bring on the books. Have a good weekend.

4:02 p.m.  
Blogger Jessie said...

Double whammy! ha! :)-

And I can't help but be pleased that I've found another Herman Hesse fan in the world. I read ALL of his books in highschool (except the Glass Bead Game--I just couldn't get into it)... and then in my early 20's I read them all over again. I remember reading his words and thinking: "yes! exactly!" He said so many things so perfectly in a way that matched my own mind at the time. I wonder what it would be like to read him again now. I don't know...but I gotta say, I love your list!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to humor me. ;)

4:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bee! Hey, thank you for your feedback in answer to my previous question! And getting tagged to boot. Super fun...and then mildly mortifying when I realized that I couldn't fill the darn thing out all the way:( With the exception of a book I've been meaning to read, "Get out of your mind and into your life" by Steven Hayes (thanks to Ruby for the reference), and a book I would want on a desert island (assuming I'm marooned here) "The Annie Dillard Reader"...or "Lord of the Rings" (though I've never read the series...they seem substantial enough to kill some serious time). One more would be Rumi's "Words of Paradise", oh, wow that title kind of coordinates with the whole island theme:) This is looking more and more like an abridged meme...umm, oh, a book/s I've read more than once, "Little Women", "The BFG" by Roald Dahl and "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. I'm working my way through the Narnia series, but I have a feeling they will be opened for viewing again.

Thanks for the tag Bee :)

4:52 p.m.  
Blogger Claire said...

This was fascinating hon. I will do it soon...honest, but probably won't tag on (or someone will throttle me!).

Cxx

4:43 a.m.  
Blogger Madeleine said...

great list Bee. you're right though, how do you choose when there are so many books which mean so much to us?

be very interested to see what the film of bridge to terabithia.

:)

7:23 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home